Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to bring to my appointment? . . .

  • Passport (not a photocopy unless the copy is certified by IRCC)
  • Applicants to Canada who do not have their passport can use one of
    • driver’s licence (current with your photo)
    • provincial Identity Card,
    • refugee document, or
    • (under age 16) a birth certificate.

These options are not available to applicants to New Zealand, except that a provincial Identity Card can be used for New Zealand.

  • Doctors’ clinic fee in cash (Pricing Page) .
  • Medication that you take from doctors (except birth control pills). Bring the pill bottles.
  • Your glasses or contacts if you need to them to see across the room.
  • Translator if needed.
  • If your name has changed recently: marriage certificate, adoption certificate, or name change form.
  • Do not bring photographs of yourself (digital photographs at clinic included in fee).

Which Doctor will I see for my appointment? . . .

Dr Green and Dr Gibson work from the same schedule. The exam will be done by the first doctor available at the time of your appointment. If you have a particular need in this regard, contact us by e-mail [Contact Page].

Can I eat/drink/exercise before my appointment? . . .

  • There are no restrictions on eating or drinking.
  • Do not exercise hard on the day of the lab tests or the day before the lab tests. No running, dancing, gym exercise, aerobics, hiking, off-road biking, or motorcycling. Children can run while playing but should not run in gym class or do competitive running or jumping sports. You can walk or bicycle on city streets.

Will I be told if my tests are abnormal? . . .

Yes. The doctor will tell you anything they find on examination. You will be informed about any abnormality on X-ray or lab tests by two weeks after the test is done (at the latest).

When will my report be sent to the government doctors?. . .

The report is sent after the X-ray and lab tests are uploaded. This normally happens by 10 days after the doctor's appointment. The time can be longer if X-ray or lab tests are abnormal. We send the reports electronically to the government doctors using the eMedical system.

What happens if the government doctors want further information?. . .

They will contact you (after a few weeks or up to three months). They will ask you to speak to us again about the information or tests they need. We check the eMedical database for what they want and arrange the tests. (Keep your contact information up-to-date with the government.)

What are the government doctors looking for?. . .

  • They have to decide whether you need treatment or testing for an infectious disease such as TB, HIV, syphilis, or hepatitis before your application can be accepted.
  • For most categories, they also have to decide whether you will be very expensive for the Canadian medical or social services systems. This is called Excess Demand. Family-sponsored permanent residency applicants and refugees are exempt from this requirement (Excess Demand Exempt or EDE).

When do the government doctors make their decision and how do I know what the decision is?. . .

  • You have to find out about what the decision is through the visa or permanent residency process. The government doctors do not tell us what their decision is.
  • They also do not tell us when they make a decision. Presumably this would be less than the maximum three months they might take to ask for further information, and it may be quite fast in uncomplicated cases.

IME, UMI, NZER number? . . .

  • Applicants to Canada sometimes have an IME number given to them by the government. If you have an IME number, we use it on the government medical database. The IME normally comes from the government after you have made an application, by e-mail on a form called Medical Report Client Biodata and Summary. If you read e-mail by phone or iPad, the IME number on the form may be blocked for security reasons – in that case forward the eMail to .
  • If applicants to Canada do not have an IME number, the doctor can make a UMI number. The exception is family class Permanent Residency applicants who must have an IME number. A medical examination done with a UMI number is known as an Up-front Medical.
  • Applicants to New Zealand have an NZER number made for them by the doctor.
  • The UCI number is only used by by the doctors for refugees. We do not use the Application number or any visa or permit numbers.

Do I have to send an Information Sheet to the government? . . .

  • If you are an applicant to Canada and the doctor makes a UMI number, the doctor will give you an Information Sheet at the time of the appointment. When the doctor sends the report to the Canadian government doctors (after everything is uploaded), you will get an updated Information Sheet. You have to send one of these Information Sheets to the government (usually with your application).
  • If you are an applicant to New Zealand, the doctor will give you an Information Sheet at the time of the appointment. When the doctor sends the report to the New Zealand government doctors (after everything is uploaded), you will get an updated Information Sheet. You should send both of these Information Sheets to the government unless you are asked not to do so.
  • Applicants who have an IME number are already known to the government and do not need to send an Information Sheet to them. You still get an updated Information Sheet when the doctor sends the report to the government, but you do not need to send it anywhere – it is just for reference.

What if I am a refugee?. . .

  • The doctor needs to check your coverage online before the appointment so that the government will pay for the doctor, chest X-ray, and lab tests.
  • You need to sign two forms instead of one when you do the paperwork.
  • The doctor should write “Coverage Confirmed” on your lab form.
  • The urine test will be done in the doctors’ clinic.